Wednesday, February 1, 2012

GDW Update

Over the past two weeks, I continued to work on the level for the game, a prototype in Unity, as well as some balancing (done as part of homework in Unity). The map is now complete, and below are some images of the level:

This is the level (Version 3)

Top view of the version 3 level

This is version 2 of the level

I posted pictures previously of what the level looked like but the story was changed and the map had to be completely re-done. The story now takes place on top of a building. Version 2 of the map was my favourite as it seemed more appropriate for a roof top. Unfortunately, most of the team didn't like it too much so I had to add more clutter to the rooftop and remove the billboard.

Since I was the one that designed the map, I was also the one tasked with the task of turning this map into 0's and 1's and throwing them into a text file for the programmer. It was an extremely repetitive task and I messed up a few times at one point, but the text file map is now done and out of the way.

Some of the balancing I did was for the attack damage. I basically threw in a static enemy and played around with the values in the javascript file, tweaking variables such as enemy health, player attack strength, and player attack speed. After tweaking them for a few hours I believe I've found something reasonable, and it allows players to kill enemies easily early one (1 or 2 hits to kill) and the number of hits gradually increases as the level gets higher and higher. Hopefully this will save us some time later on when it is time to balance the game.

For this next week I am hoping to work on either modeling, creating the sound effects, or programming. There is still a lot of work to do, however, with piles of assignments and midterms slowly creeping up hopefully we can have something playable by mid February.

No comments:

Post a Comment